Friday, April 5, 2013

All In A Golden Afternoon

...You can learn a lot of things from the flowers

Oh now I want to watch Alice in Wonderland!...maybe later

Anyway, onto my post.

Today was a great day. The weather is finally starting to get nice!


I woke up really early this morning. Okay, 8 o'clock isn't that early for most people, but it is for me! The reason I woke up so early is because my brother woke me up and asked me to take him to work. After I got back home, I made cookies. Yes, that's right. I baked cookies at 8:30 in the morning.
 After that I got dressed for the day, and took some pictures.


 I originally had plans to go see an Indie music band with a friend, but they unexpectedly cancelled the night before, so all of a sudden I had a whole day free. I was pretty sure it was going to be spent talking to my sister, browsing the internet for pretty things, and drinking tea. Then I decided to check listings for estate/tag sales. Now usually, for me, estate sales hardly ever have clothes. Even though I hear or read about people finding fabulous outfits, I never have such luck.


However!

This one mentioned in the listing that it had vintage clothing. I was so excited I could hardly contain myself, so I grabbed some cash and headed out.

When I got there I was really worried because it was not a grand estate, but a small warehouse type building and I started thinking it was some sort of elaborate trap to ensnare girls who like vintage...but it was fine. Apparently the family didn't want a sale at the house or something, so the estate sale company took it to their home base.

The selection was actually good. There were a few of the typical clothing items. Hideous 80's pantsuits and all that rot. But they also had lots of good vintage, mostly from the 40's and 50's. I do think a few of the pieces were 30's but I was kind of in a hurry.

And you will NEVER GUESS my luck....Okay I will tell you. Basically all the clothes were MY SIZE!!!!! It's hard to find larger vintage sized clothing so I was thrilled. I ended up getting 6 dresses, and 1 blouse. I got a really good deal because nearly every item had some sort of damage. I see myself repairing and stain removing lots of clothing in the future!

But it was a good day!


 This is one of my favorite hats!





 My spoils

I will try to go from left to right starting at the top
1.) 50's/60's  Blue and Leopard wiggle dress 2.) 40's War Era swing dress with original belt and side button closure (the only thing that didn't fit me...it's going in the Etsy shop!) 3.)  50's Grey and red wooly dress with rhinestone buttons 4.) 40's/50's Pink acetate dress with buttons down the front and original belt (this dress, unfortunately has a lot of damage)  5.) 50's Brown and cream dress 6.) 50's Fabulous front-zip housecoat with full skirt.

And that thing at the top is the blouse!

After I got back and played dress up, I went for a run. And now I am showered and cozy and relaxing with a hot tea and a ginger cookie (or two!)


My outfit
Cardigan ~ Thrifted
Dress ~ Antique mall
Shoes ~ Kohl's a few years ago
Hat ~ Antique mall







2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Those estate sales are the best :)

    -Viola

    ReplyDelete
  2. What thoroughly terrific finds! I've yet, in all my years, to have the pleasure of attending an estate sale that offered up vintage clothing or accessories (there really aren't that many around here point blank),can you believe it? Fingers firmly crossed that I get the chance one of these days (and that your great luck rubs off on me if I do!).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete