Monday, January 7, 2013

A New Dress From An Old Sheet

So, in my last post I talked about body shapes and talked about how great sewing was because it really gives you the chance to make something to truly fit and flatter your body. I got to thinking and thought I may as well make a dress to illustrate my point. I always buys a few patterns when they go on sale, so I have quite a few vintage reproductions and retro looking patterns in my possession. I even have a few true vintage patterns, but I am a scaredy cat when it comes to unprinted patterns. I decided to make Simplicity 1755. It's a Leanne Marshall pattern (she was on Project Runway).



I chose to make View B, but I decided to use the skirt from view A because it was longer, and I needed the length on account of being so tall. As you will see in the pictures of my dress, it really looks nothing like the picture. I will start by telling you that it was a muslin. Which, for those of you who don't know, is basically a rough draft of a pattern so you can figure out how to make it fit right. Luckily for me, the bodice fit and the waist hit in the right spot, so I didn't need to make any changes there. In the pattern, it calls for a zipper, but I just added some width to the back and sewed it up to make it slip over my head. It make the waist a little loose, but that's what belts are for :).

You might also notice that the neck line is completely different. That's because I didn't make the collar, and just tacked the edges down to create a somewhat sweetheart neckline.

So anyway, here is the result. I still need to hem it, but it's just for being around the house, so it doesn't need to be perfect. Also, I made it out of an old sheet, so you may notice some parts are more vibrant than others.


I wore a crinoline underneath it to give it a fuller look.


Snow on the ground.


See how on the sides, the print is really faint? That's the middle of the sheet.



Pockets!



So, there you have it. This really didn't take too long. I think it was a total of 3 days, but I didn't work on too long any one day. And this is just a muslin. If I decide to make it in a good fabric (I am still not sure I want too..) it will take me even less time.

Happy Sewing!







2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you MADE that! That style is pretty much my fave kind of dress in the world. You are very talented. Happy to be the first follower of this great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Your kind words mean a lot! <3

      Delete